Cranberry & Mushroom Citrus-Ginger Chicken with Veggies
- To make the cranberry ginger sauce, in a 4-inch full-size steam pan, whisk cranberry sauce with a wire whip until smooth. Gradually stir in orange juice to combine.
- Stir in orange zest and ground ginger. Chef’s Tip: To prevent ground ginger from clumping, sift over the sauce through a mesh sieve.
- Stir in dried cranberries. Cover and set aside.
- Place frozen chicken in 4-inch full-size steam pan with a perforated insert and steam for 5 minutes until chicken is heated to 165°F for 15 seconds. Hold hot in perforated pan set to allow excess liquid to drain from the chicken. CCP: Hold hot at 135°F or above.
- Place frozen carrots in 4-inch full-size steam pan with perforated insert and layer frozen snap peas on top. Steam for 4-5 minutes, until crisp and tender, taking care to not overcook. Hold hot in perforated pan set to allow excess liquid to drain from the vegetables. CCP: Hold hot at 135°F or above. Chef’s Tip: Steam chicken and vegetables at same time if steamer space allows.
- Coat a steam pan with pan spray. Place sliced mushrooms in pan; spray slices lightly with pan spray. Toss slices to coat.
- In a preheated 350°F oven, cook mushrooms until tender and browned, stirring halfway through cooking time, about 8-10 total minutes.
- While mushrooms are cooking, heat cranberry ginger sauce in steamer for 5 minutes.
- In 6-inch full-size steam pan, combine the chicken, all vegetables and cranberry ginger sauce. Fold or stir gently to mix, taking care to keep snap peas intact. CCP: Hold hot at 135°F or above. Chef’s Tip: For best quality and ease in combining hot ingredients, prepare in 48-serving size recipe batches. If perforated pan inserts are not available, drain all cooked items well to remove excess liquid.
- To Serve: Portion a 6 oz. spoodle (¾ cup) of mixture on a plate or bowl. Serving suggestion: serve over rice (brown rice, or brown/enriched rice whole grain-rich blend), ½ cup (1 oz. equivalent grains) per 6 oz. spoodle portion.
Note: Recipe concept by Teal Carpenter, School Nutrition Director, Gloversville Enlarged School District in Gloversville, NY for the 2015 Cranberry Marketing Committee / Mushroom Council Search for the Next Great Cranberry-Mushroom Recipe Contest