One year ago today we presented a check to contest winner Ingrid Rockwell (pictured right). From Deerfield Elementary School, Wisconsin, her cran-winning Cranzy ChickenTaco is perfect for school foodservice requirements. Importantly, this winning recipe got the all-important thumbs up from Deerfield, Wisconsin students!
Don’t have 30 mouths to feed? Here’s the recipe serving 8. Prep Time: 45 minutes – Cook Time: 15 minutes
CRANZY CHICKEN TACO
BEAN SALAD (makes 4 cups):
- 2 cups canned Great Northern beans, reduced-sodium, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups sweetened dried cranberries
- ¼ cup 100% apple juice
- 3 T chopped scallions or red onions
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 T honey
- 12 oz. cooked, diced chicken
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
CRANBERRY MAYO (makes ½ cup):
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, mashed
- 1 T finely minced scallions
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 8 whole-grain 8-in. tortillas
- In a medium bowl, toss together all Bean Salad ingredients; mix well, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- In a large sauce pan, melt cranberry sauce with honey (about 2 minutes).
- Add chicken to cranberry-honey mixture and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with cheese and mix to coat evenly.
- Lay chicken in a single layer on a parchment-covered baking sheet and bake in 350°F convection oven or 400°F conventional oven for 6-8 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from heat and keep hot for serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, scallions and pepper until combined; place in a covered container for serving.
- Place ½ cup chopped spinach inside a tortilla, top with ¼ cup chicken and ½ cup bean salad and drizzle with 1 Tbsp. Cranberry Mayo. Fold tortilla with ingredients inside to form a hand-held taco.