Cabbage & Cranberry Soup
Ingredients for Cabbage & Cranberry Soup
- Cooking Time: approx. 20 minutes
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed, drained and put through the coarse blade of a meat grinder or food processor set to chop coarsely.
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1 T salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 10 1/2 oz cans condensed chicken broth (low sodium if desired)
- 2 10 1/2 oz cans water
- 1 16 oz can shoestring or diced beets
- Sour cream fat free (garnish)
- In large stock pot toss together the first three ingredients. Add brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add 3 cans of broth and 2 additional cans of water. Cook mixture for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the beets and their liquid and heat thoroughly. Add a spoonful of sour cream when serving if desired.
- This is a substantial soup which when served with a hearty bread will make a full meal.
- Recipe courtesy of: Pollie B. Evans from The Best of Cranfest Cranberry Recipes