Cranberry Jam and Hungarian Shortbread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 oz. fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (grated orange peel)
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- With mixer on high, cream butter until light and fluffy. Next add egg yolks and 2 cups sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved and mixture is light.
- Switch mixer to low and add dry ingredients previously set aside. Mix only until incorporated. Make 2 balls, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, orange juice, 1 cup sugar and orange zest. Simmer stirring often until cranberries are softened. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using one ball, grate with coarse grater into 9 x 12-inch pan. Press down lightly. Cover with jam. With second ball, repeat with grater.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting