Cranberry and Raw Beef Appetizer
- 2.5 oz lean, grass-fed beef, free of connective tissue ( sirloin tip, eye of round, etc.)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 small shallot, finely sliced and pickled in 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (preferably infused with some hot pepper)
- Several large cranberries ( or frozen)
- Horseradish root
- Fresh arugula, (or other spicy greens)
- Sea salt (or, better still, herb salt)
- Add vinegar to sliced shallot at least ten minutes before preparing the beef. Finely shave the beef, so it is all extremely tender. Mix a small amount of minced garlic, maybe a quarter of a clove, or barely more than sticks to a few fingers. Salt both sides. Thinly slice a few large cranberries. Place cranberry rounds atop the beef. Add a thin, partial layer of the spicy, pickled shallot on top. Shave some new, raw horseradish, preferably with a microplane. Top with fresh arugula, cress, or other spicy greens. Serve immediately.
- *Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase risk of foodborne illness.
- David Levi- Reciepe and Philip Guerette- Photo