- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4cup water Confectioner's (powdered) sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the middle.
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with 2 crisscrossed sheets of foil, leaving an overhand on 2 opposite sides, then butter foil.
- Blend butter, flour, salt, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a food processor until mixture begins to clump together. Press into bottom of pan.
- Bake until pale golden and sides begin to pull away from pan, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While crust is baking, cook cranberries, remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar, and water in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour cranberries over baked crust and bake until egs is golden, about 25 minutes.
- Sift confectioners sugar over top and cool completely in pan on a rack.
- When cool, lift out of pan using foil overhang and cut into 12 squares, then sift more confectioners sugar on top.