Cranberry Braised Short Ribs
- 4 pounds bone-in short ribs (cut into 3-inch pieces (ask the butcher to cut them))
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 shallots, halved
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4-6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (12 -oz) bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Pat the short ribs dry with a paper towel and season them all over with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large Dutch or oven safe pot oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Working in batches, sear the ribs evenly on all sides, about 4 minutes per side, until well browned. Remove browned short ribs from the pot and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chopping onion and halved shallots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes, until beginning to brown and caramelize.
- Add red wine and cranberry juice to the pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Stir in the brown sugar. Return the short ribs back to the pot, along with any accumulated juices, nestling them into the braising liquid. Add the thyme and bay leaves and sprinkle the cranberries on top. Season with salt and pepper, gently stir to combine.
- Cover the Dutch oven or oven safe pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2 ½ -3 hours, until the short ribs are fork-tender at the bone.
- When short ribs are done cooking, discard bay leave and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Developed by Chef Daniela Gerson for the Cranberry Marketing Committee