Cranberry Orange Breakfast Rolls
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature, divided
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 orange zest and 2 tbsp of juice
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour plus more if needed
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries wash and dried
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pulse fresh cranberries in a food processor to create small bits of cranberries. Set aside.
- Cream sugar, salt, and 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl and lower speed to low. Mix in egg and orange zest until smooth. Scrape again and then add in flour, yeast, milk, and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Mix for 30 seconds and then pour in pulsed cranberries. Continue mixing to combine and then switch to the dough hook. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes. The dough should create a soft, smooth, slightly sticky ball. While kneading, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time if the dough is sticking to the bottom and sides and not creating a ball. May need to add up to 1/3 cup flour.
- Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray and place the ball of dough inside, turning it to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside. Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and roll dough into a 10 x 15 rectangle. Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter evenly over the dough and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Start with the long end and roll the dough into a tight log shape. Pinch the seams to seal. Use a serrated knife to cut the log into 12- 1 inch rolls. Set the rolls into the prepared pan with 1/2 inch space in between. Cover in plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour, or until they are puffy and touch each other. After 30 minutes, turn the oven on to 350 degrees and let it preheat.
- Once the rolls have risen, bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown from the outer edge to the center of each roll. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Ina microwave safe bowl, add cranberries and 1 tablespoon of water. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds until cranberries have split. Drain the water and mash the cranberries with the back of a spoon. Pour powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Add salt, vanilla extract, and milk. Whisk until smooth and then whisk in mashed cranberries. The icing should drip in a thick ribbon from the whisk. Adjust consistency by either adding another tablespoon of milk to thin or 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar to thicken as desired. Spoon icing over the warm rolls and serve.
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days and reheat in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften.