- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 star anice pod
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium quinces or 2 large pears cored, peeled & diced
- 1 medium apple cored, peeled & diced
- 12 oz fresh or frozen cranberries about 3 cups
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, allspice and star anise and cook for about5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, and water to the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the quince (or pear), apple, cranberries and raisins and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and jammy, about 25-35 minutes.
- Discard the star anise. Serve the chutney warm or chilled.