Cranberry Stuffing With Vegan Sausage
- 1 loaf fresh bakery bread sliced (ex: French)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 7 oz vegan sausage
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 5 celery stalks diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 orange quartered
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or cooking wine
- 22 oz chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch casserole dish.
- Spread bread on large, baking sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes, or just until dried but not browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While the bread is cooling, heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegan sausage and cook thoroughly. You want it to be in crumbles. Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate.
- Once the bread is cool, break it into cubes and place in a large bowl. I used my hands, feel free to use a knife if you prefer.
- Add onions to same skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until tender. Add celery and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cranberries and continue cooking, stirring often, for about 6 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown. Add cooking wine and cook for about 4 minutes, or until wine has evaporated but vegetables are still very moist.
- Add broth, squeeze in the juice from the orange slice, and butter, bring to a simmer, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir green onions into vegetable mixture. Add vegan sausage crumbles, 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper, and mix well.
- Pour mixture into the large bowl with the bread; remove and discard thyme stems. Mix in eggs. Spread stuffing in prepared baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until stuffing is heated through and puffed. Remove foil and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 509mg | Potassium: 248mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 216IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 6mg