Cranberry Thumbprint Cookies
For the cookies
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts toasted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup applesauce
For the spiced cranberry orange jam
- 12 oz cranberries fresh or frozen
- 2 medium oranges peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Start by preparing the cookie dough. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, hazelnuts, cinnamon,baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter on high until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add applesauce and beat until blended.
- Add the flour mixture slowly to the wet ingredients, beating on low speed, until just blended. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, as dough is chilling, prepare the spiced cranberry orange jam. Combine cranberries, oranges, orange zest, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst and mixture is well combined. Remove from heat and set aside to cool; mixture will thicken as it cools.
- About 15 minutes before the end of the chilling time, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.