Cranberry Turkey Picadillo
- 3 Tbsp. Oil, olive
- 1 qt. Onions, medium, diced small 1 1/4 lb.
- 1 qt. Peppers, bell, green, diced small 1 1/4 lb.
- 3 Tbsp. Garlic, fresh, minced
- 8 3/4 lb. Turkey, ground
- 2 Tbsp. Cumin, ground
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
- 2 tsp. Pepper, black, ground
- 2 tsp. Pepper, red, flakes
- 1 tsp. Cloves, ground
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 qt. Tomatoes, Roma, canned, diced
- 1 1/2 qt. Dried sweetened cranberries
- Optional Accompaniments:
- 6 qt. Cooked brown rice
- 48 Tortillas, whole wheat, 8-inch
- 3 cups Sour cream, reduced-fat
- 3 cups Cheese, cheddar, shredded
- In a large skilled, rondo or tilting skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat; add onions, bell peppers and garlic and saute. Stir often, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until meat is browned.
- Stir in cumin, cinnamon, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, cloves and salt and cook several minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juices and cranberries; reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cranberries are soft and mixture has thickened.
- For each serving, ladle 1/2 cup picadillo over 1/2 cup rice, if desired. Or top a whole-wheat tortilla with 1/2 cup picadillo along with 1 Tbsp. sour cream and 1 Tbsp. shredded cheese before wrapping to serve.
- Culinary Institute of America Cook-off 2014
- One serving provides 2 oz. eq. meat/meat alternate, 1⁄4 cup fruit
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 246 kcal, Total Fat 10.55 g, Saturated Fat 2.59 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 85.94 mg, Sodium 161.70 mg, Carbohydrate 14.99 g, Dietary Fiber 1.22 g, Protein 22.90 g, Vitamin C 12.66 mg, Calcium 41.51 mg, Iron 1.79 mg, Vitamin A 52.60 RE (287.47 IU), 9.48% Calories from Saturated Fat / *Optional accompaniments will alter nutrition nutrition and crediting.
- CCP: Cool to 70˚F or lower within 2 hours and from 70˚F to 40˚F within 4 more hours. Place in shallow pans with a product depth of 2 inches or less and refrigerate or place shallow pans of product into ice bath, immerse pans into ice up to product level and stir frequently. Cover and label product.
- CCP: Reheat to 165˚F or higher for 15 seconds, within 2 hours.
- Wash hands and exposed parts of arms before handling food, after handling raw foods and after any interruption that may contaminate hands. Wash, rinse and sanitize all equipment and utensils before and after use. Return all ingredients to refrigerator if preparation is interrupted. Measure all internal product temperatures with a cleaned and sanitized thermocouple or thermometer every 2 hours. Thaw frozen product properly using an FDA recommended method.