Hearty Cranberry Chili
For the chili seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 3 jalapenos minced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 8 oz mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 cup pecans finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce fire-roasted tomatoes
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 15.5 ounce black beans drained and rinsed
- 15.5 ounce cranberry beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cranberries fresh or fozen
- In a small bowl, mix all the spices for the chili seasoning mix. Set aside for now.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, and mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes over medium heat, until the vegetables start to get tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the pecans, coconut aminos, tomato paste, and the chili seasoning mix. Let cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, cranberry beans, and cranberries to the pot. Simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency of your preference. Enjoy!
- Coconut aminos are gluten free. You can easily substitute soy sauce instead of coconut aminos, however note that soy sauce contains gluten.
Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1250mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 15.5g