Marathon Runner's Kale Salad
Ingredients for Marathon Runner's Kale Salad
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dried cranberries
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 pear, chopped
- 1/2 apple, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 T (30 ml) sesame seeds for garnish
- Soak the cranberries in 1/2 cup (125 mL) water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place the chopped kale and lemon juice into a large mixing bowl. Using your hands, massage the kale and lemon juice together. The acid from the juice will help to break down the kale and make it easier to digest. After the cranberries have finished soaking, discard the water and add the berries to the kale. Add the remaining ingredients, except the garnish, and gently mix together. Add a little Classic Ginger Dressing over top and serve garnished with the sesame seeds.
- POWER FOOD TIP: Whether you are already a marathon runner or looking to get started, this salad is a perfect way to boost your energy and get you pumped up for a great workout. Eat 2 cups (500 mL) an hour before your next workout and feel your superhuman powers come to life.
- Recipe by: Adam Hart for The Power of Food