Orange, Olive and Fennel Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- For the Vinaigrette - 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot or green onion, white part only
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup canola or neutral olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- For the Salad - 3 large navel oranges, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large head fennel, sliced paper thin vertically
- 1 small sweet red onion, peeled and thinly sliced in rings (soak in ice water if the flavor is too strong)
- 2/3 cup mixed country-style olives, such as Nicoise, cracked green or Sicilian
- For the Vinaigrette - In a blender or food processor, combine the cranberries, orange juice, shallot, vinegar, honey, and lime juice; puree. With the motor running, slowly add the oil to the desired consistency.
- Over a medium bowl, strain the puree through a fine-mesh strainer, pushing down on the solids.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- For the Salad - Arrange the oranges, fennel and onion attractively on a plate.
- Scatter the olives around and drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Garnish with the fennel sprigs (the top leafy part of the bulb).