Whole Wheat Cranberry Pancakes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- zest of half an orange
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Place chopped cranberries in a microwave-safe bowl and add brown sugar. Stir to combine. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir again. Microwave for another 15 seconds or until the brown sugar is melted and the cranberries are softened.
- Whisk orange zest, white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk and eggs and add to dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter. Stir with a flexible spatula to combine. Once mostly combined (some flour streaks still evident) stir in cranberries, including any liquid that has accumulated.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle on medium-low. Spray with cooking spray and spread 1/4 cup batter in the skillet .Cook until the edges are bubbling and the bottom is golden brown, about 90 seconds. Use a spatula and flip the pancake and cook the other side for another 90 seconds, or until the bottom is golden brown and the inside is cooked. Turn down the skillet as needed to keep the pancakes from over browning.
- Serve with butter and warm maple syrup. Store any remaining pancakes in an airtight container.